Pages

August 19, 2012

Tough Day...

Source
I try very hard to not categorize days into "good" or "bad". They are just days that good and bad things may happen. My thought process is that if you put a label on it, then its very difficult for you to change it if its not going the way you want. Today, would be one of those days that I'm not going to categorize as bad...but lets just say "difficult". Its not that anything bad has happened. In fact, its been a pretty typical sunshine kind of day. I got a good nights sleep. Taelyn let me sleep in until 7:15 this morning. She ate her sweet potatoes and pears this morning
with no fuss at all. Got my running shoes on and we went for a morning walk/run.

All was going well until about 12 minutes into my walk, and I started my jog. Then that little annoying voice crept up and started telling me, "You're wasting your time. You're never going to be the runner you used to be. Why don't you just walk? Its easier." It was so hard to tell that voice to go away. In fact, here I am two hours later not really sure if I ever did shoo that little pest out of my thoughts.

I never thought it would be this hard to jog a silly little 30 minutes. I mean, seriously, I used to run Half Marathons and 20k races for God's sakes! This is just getting ridiculous. Why won't my body do what I want it to do? Why is it fighting me so hard? Why does everything hurt just a little bit more than it did a year ago? Grrrr! I talk to my husband about how frustrated I'm getting. He tells me, "Well, Kristen, you are 38 now. You're body isn't going to bounce back as quickly as you want." Thanks, Seth. 

I'm know no matter what I'll continue to take the baby out every morning for our walks. Seth and I are committed to teaching her a healthy, active lifestyle. We refuse to allow our child to fall into the trap of so many children in the US with obesity issues and addiction to television. Since Seth and I both were challenged with weight growing up and through adult hood, we know we could unintentionally teach Taelyn bad habits so we stay very stern with each other to be positive role models. 

I won't allow myself to give up. But, maybe I just wanted a little pity party for a couple of paragraphs. I'll put those running shoes on again, just like I did 2 months ago, and teach my child how to be active. I'll be a good role model and show her that cartoons and video games are not the only way to entertain and there is a whole world of positive, fun activities out there! Even if I can't run the way I used to, at least I'm out there which is what counts. I can't allow that annoying voice to affect me and beat me down.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this! The past 2 months or so, I've been doing very badly with my diet and I'm getting so frustrated with myself. We all have ups and downs when it comes to fitness (and many other things), no need to beat ourselves up over it :) (Also, I'm nowhere close to running 30 minutes. Good for you!)

    ReplyDelete