Pages

October 16, 2012

Halloween Extravaganza!...

Source
Imagine my surprise when I walked in the grocery store and saw Halloween presentations just like I do in the US. I knew they celebrated here a little bit, but I really had no idea that its basically taken on the same traditions as the US "holiday." There were pumpkins, costumes, makeup, outside decorations, lanterns, candy, bags of candy, goody bags, you name it. 




Imagine also my surprise when I found out that Halloween has taken over a lot of el Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) celebration. My nanny said that families still decorate the graves with sugared skulls and presents, but it doesn't have the same meaning in Playa as in other areas of Mexico. I was bummed. I was all syked to see maybe a parade or people dressed in the traditional skull face paint. Oh well, I will definitely still make a trip to the cemetery the day after (so not to be rude) and try to snap some photos of the alters the families decorated.



No comments:

Post a Comment