Pages

April 27, 2012

I Was So Duped...

 I feel so dumb! Oh, I knew better, but I was so taken that here it is 3 days later, and I'm still thinking about it. So what happened, you ask? Well, Taelyn and I did our daily little visit to the grocery store in order to stay out of the hubs way so he could work. I decided to play
good little housewife and fill the gas tank up.


All was hunky-dory when I pulled up. I politely asked, "Quinientos regular por favor." So, I got busy focusing on the baby while trying to pull out my pesos and some tip money. All I had was 10 pesos which I knew was over tipping, but I didn't have anything smaller. Such was life. I heard the gas click. He came over to get my money, and smiled at me when I gave him the tip. I was driving away thinking, "Yes, I know I over tipped you. No, I'm not a dumb tourist who doesn't know any better." 


So I was at the stop light at the end of the street, and I happened to look down at my gas gauge. My eyes popped out of their sockets, and I slapped myself on the head. The gas gauge was completely over the FULL mark which means clearly that it didn't take exactly 500 pesos to fill it. So not only did I over tip him, but he took a little off the top as well! I was thinking, "Stupid Gringa!" But oh well, he probably only got about 20 extra pesos out of me. Big deal. Right? No, not right. 


I got home and was telling my husband my funny story, and he looked at me and said, "You know it only takes maybe 400 pesos to fill the tank so I think you got taken for more like 100 (about $7.60 USD)." Doesn't sound like much, but in Mexico 100 pesos is what some bring home for the whole day. Thanks, Seth...I fell much better now. I was so duped. 

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA I'm not sure about the ins and outs of Pemex because I don't have a car, but yeah it sounds like you were duped. I do know that you really have to watch the Pemex guys while they're pumping!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always watch. Ten pesos is like a dollar and a good tip. I did learn another "trick" is they don't clear the customer,s bill that was before you and charges you for both. Make sure its all zeros before they start pumping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, they used to do that in Panama too. I think that's why I'm so mad. Not my first rodeo and I fell right into his trap. My pride is so bruised right now, but I will live another day. :)

    ReplyDelete